Didn't you say that before???

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Only God can judge me...

...so why do I let the judgments of others cloud my mind so often? Why do I allow what they think and feel is "right" and "good" to bring tears to my eyes and a heaviness to my heart? I don't expect everyone to agree with me on everything, I don't expect everyone to be supportive of choices I make in my life... what I do expect is respect and - from some - unconditional love. One of the biggest things I have discovered since finding my renewed faith in Jesus is unconditional love. Its the kind of love that, even when disappointed by someone, you never waiver on how much you love them. It's the kind of love God has for all His children. And sometimes, I think He's the only one who truly loves me unconditionally. The song I posted a few days ago in my blog titled "Love me" is the closest thing I can come to how I feel most days; who will love me for me? I know God always does and always will, and most days that's enough. I am fallible as a human - we all are - and in my faith I know that His love should be enough to fulfill me always. But in this fallibleness, it's not.

Its not unknown to most of you who read my blog that I have been battling depression for some time. Medication helps, therapy helps, praying helps... but some days, no amount of meds, therapy, or praying can stop the ache in my heart. Can stop the thoughts that eat away at me on a regular basis - regardless of how true or contrived those thoughts are. Today, well shit - all this week - I have had an issue with these thoughts, sneaking in when I don't want them, picking at me and making me doubt not just myself but everything in my life. I know a lot of this stems from my upcoming move to Boston; it's a big change, and I'm scared to do it, but thrilled as well. Some of it stems from the reactions of those around me, and how, once again, I find myself fighting to stay out of the 'doing something for someone else' stage of life instead of 'doing something for me' like I have been trying to do. I'd give the shirt off my back to help those in my life, especially those I love and care about - but right now, I need to take care of myself. I found myself on all too familiar ground of doing things because it is/was what others want of me, and not what I want for me. And I will always find a way to make all parties happy when possible, but if I stop living my life, I will waste it. God put me on this Earth to help others - that I have no doubt - but before I can truly help others, I have to help myself first. I know it is selfish in a sense to say these things, but it is also selfish of others to expect me to give in to their wishes.

I put my path in life in God's hands, and he has not steered me wrong yet. He has allowed me to travel off my path from time to time, to give me the opportunity to learn something, but each stop along the way has been a life-altering one. I can't say for sure if moving to Boston is the "right" or "wrong" thing for me to do, but I'm doing it anyway. I believe, truly, that this is something I am meant to do, regardless of the outcome for me. I believe this because of two reasons: 1) the opportunity fell into my lap effortlessly and 2) there have been no road blocks. In all things I have prayed on, if it is not meant to be, God has thrown a road block or twenty in my way, to tell me I was going wrong. For good or bad, I believe this move is meant to happen. While I am nervous and scared, I am at peace knowing this. All I ask is for those in my life who are not at peace with it, to be at peace with it. Yes, I am effectively the first child of my parents to move AWAY from the family, when my parents always figured I'd be the one to stick the closest. People grow and change; the once homesick 18 year-old college freshmen is no longer 18 or homesick. In fact, she is sick of home; not in a bad way, just... mentally and emotionally drained from it. In order for me to continue to grow both spiritually and emotionally, I need to break free of the ties that have kept me bound here for so long, stagnating, drying up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Darby, I can really relate to this post. After having one of the most mentally challenging weeks and today specifically, this is exactly what I needed to read.

Anyway...I fully believe you are making the right decision for you.

I understand what its like to have that one person who's support you need (and expect)...not give it to you. It is so hurtful and can really eat away at you. I wish I had some advice on this but I am still trying to figure that out myself.

Lastly, I have had a crush on Toby Mac since I was 9 years old...thanks for posting that video :)

Hugs! Heather

morbidprogeny said...

While the decision may weigh heavily on your heart at times, know that you need to do what is best for you! If I'd balked and never stayed in Philly but went back home, I would not have the amazing friends that are in my life now! Not to mention my beautiful wife and boys!! There are times that I still think back on that decision but I would never change it for any reason. Know this woman, no matter where you untimatly land, we will always love you!! You'll have to forgive those of us who have a hard time seeing you go, we just love you too much to blow it off as not a big deal, but I at least understand and stand whole heartedly by your decision. Live your life. Love your life. And know that you are loved. Always.

-Kevin

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

"obey God, and trust Him with the consequences."

I'm learning more and more that my direction in life should be based less and less on my feelings. If you're doing what He wants you to do in humility and compassion, who cares what other people think? ...You're not going to have to answer to them anyway.

"What other people think of me is none of my business." :)

Keep shining, Darby!