Didn't you say that before???

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Songs that have touched my life recently

In light of my amazingly great mood on my 30th birthday today, I wanted to share these fabulous songs that have touched my life recently, and aided me in my healing, growth and strength.
This song's lyrics got me; it's very much how I prayed to God when things were at their worst for me - Where were you?
"You Found Me"
[Verse 1]
I found God
On the corner of First and Amistad
Where the west
Was all but won
All alone
Smoking his last cigarette
I said, "Where you been?"
He said, "Ask anything".
[Verse 2]
Where were you
When everything was falling apart?
All my days
Were spent by the telephone
That never rang
And all I needed was a call
That never came
To the corner of First and Amistad
[Chorus 1]
Lost and insecure
You found me, you found me
Lyin' on the floor
Surrounded, surrounded
Why'd you have to wait?
Where were you? Where were you?
Just a little late
You found me, you found me
[Verse 3]
In the end
Everyone ends up alone
Losing her
The only one who's ever known
Who I am
Who I'm not, who I wanna be
No way to know
How long she will be next to me
[Chorus 2]
Lost and insecure
You found me, you found me
Lyin' on the floor
Surrounded, surrounded
Why'd you have to wait?
Where were you? Where were you?
Just a little late
You found me, you found me
[Bridge]
Early morning
The city breaks
I've been callin'
For years and years and years and years
And you never left me no messages
Ya never send me no letters
You got some kinda nerve
Taking all I want
[Chorus 3 and outro]
Lost and insecure
You found me, you found me
Lyin' on the floor
Where were you? Where were you?
Lost and insecure
You found me, you found me
Lyin' on the floor
Surrounded, surrounded
Why'd you have to wait?
Where were you? Where were you?
Just a little late
You found me, you found me
Why'd you have to wait?
To find me, to find me
This song is about Ernesto; when he left the first time around (and the second time) this song continually ran through my head, because "Go ahead tell me you'll leave again. You'll just come back, running, holding your scarred heart in hand. It's all the same". It is all the same. I take him for who he is, but not as I once did.
"All The Same" I dont mind where you come from As long as you come to me But I dont like illusions I cant see Them clearly I dont care, no I wouldn't dare To fix the twist in you You've shown me eventually what you'll do I dont mind I dont care As long as you're here [Chorus] Go ahead and tell me you'll leave again You'll just come back running Holding your scarred heart in hand It's all the same And I'll take you for who you are If you take me for everything And do it all over again It's all the same Hours slide and days go by Till you decide to come But in-between it always seems too long Suddenly But I have the skill, yeah I have the will, to breath you in while I can However long you stay is all that I am I dont mind, I dont care As long as you're here Go ahead and tell me you'll leave again You'll just come back running Holding your scarred heart in hand It's all the same And I'll take you for who you are If you take me for everything And do it all over again It's always the same Wrong or Right Black or White If I close my eyes Its all the same In my life The compromise I'll close my eyes Its all the same Go ahead say it You're leaving You'll just come back running Holding your scarred heart in hand It's all the same And I'll take you for who you are now If you take me for everything Do it all over again It's all the same
"Just Breathe" by Pearl Jam. The first time I heard this, I cried. It made me think of losing someone close. The more I listen and read the lyrics, the more I equate it to my relationship with God - "Nothing you would take. Everything you gave. Did I say that I need you? Did I say that I want you? Oh if I didn't I'm a fool, you see. No one knows this more than me. As I come clean"
"Just Breathe" Yes, I understand that every life must end, uh-huh As we sit alone, I know someday we must go, uh-huh Oh I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the ones I love Some folks just have one, yeah, others, they've got none Stay with me... Let's just breathe... Practiced all my sins, never gonna let me win, uh-huh Under everything, just another human being, uh-huh I don't wanna hurt, there's so much in this world to make me bleed Stay with me You're all I see... Did I say that I need you? Did I say that I want you? Oh, if I didn't I'm a fool you see No one knows this more than me As I come clean... I wonder everyday, as I look upon your face, uh-huh Everything you gave And nothing you would save, oh no Nothing you would take Everything you gave... Did I say that I need you? Oh, did I say that I want you? Oh, if I didn't I'm a fool you see No one knows this more than me And I come clean, ah... Nothing you would take Everything you gave Hold me til I die Meet you on the other side...
Fall Out Boy - I secretly *heart* these guys. This song in particular, because I find the line "I'm just a notch in your bedpost, but you're just a line in a song" sort of empowering. Not sure why, I just do.
"Sugar We're Going Down" Am I more than you bargained for yet I've been dying to tell you anything you want to hear Cause that's just who I am this week Lie in the grass, next to the mausoleum I'm just a notch in your bedpost But you're just a line in a song (A notch in your bedpost, but you're just a line in a song) Drop a heart, break a name We're always sleeping in, and sleeping for the wrong team We're going down, down in an earlier round And Sugar, we're going down swinging I'll be your number one with a bullet A loaded god complex, cock it and pull it We're going down, down in an earlier round And Sugar, we're going down swinging I'll be your number one with a bullet A loaded god complex, cock it and pull it Is this more than you bargained for yet Oh don't mind me I'm watching you two from the closet Wishing to be the friction in your jeans Isn't it messed up how I'm just dying to be him I'm just a notch in your bedpost But you're just a line in a song (Notch in your bedpost, but you're just a line in a song) Drop a heart, break a name We're always sleeping in, and sleeping for the wrong team We're going down, down in an earlier round And Sugar, we're going down swinging I'll be your number one with a bullet A loaded god complex, cock it and pull it [x2] Down, down in an earlier round And Sugar, we're going down swinging I'll be your number one with a bullet A loaded god complex, cock it and pull it We're going down, down in an earlier round And Sugar, we're going down swinging I'll be your number one with a bullet A loaded god complex, cock it and pull it We're going down, down (down, down) Down, down (down, down) We're going down, down (down, down) A loaded god complex, cock it and pull it We're going down, down in an earlier round And Sugar, we're going down swinging I'll be your number one with a bullet A loaded god complex, cock it and pull it
Mat Kearney is awesome. 'Nuff said. I could dedicate an entire blog to his inspirational songs and what they have meant to me - but this one just makes me smile. When I first heard it, I was at probably my lowest point in life; I was nearly suicidal, and just all around miserable. I heard the line "Crying in her room, praying Lord, come through", and fell to the floor in tears. It was like he was spying on me. How could he know this was exactly how I felt and exaclty what I had been doing??? It was then that I started to focus on getting my spirit back.
"Closer To Love" She got the call today One out of the gray And when the smoke cleared It took her breath away She said she didn't believe It could happen to me I guess we're all one phone call from our knees We're gonna get there soon If every building falls And all the stars fade We'll still be singin' this song The one they can't take away I'm gonna get there soon, She's gonna be there too Cryin' in her room Prayin' Lord, come through We're gonna get there soon [Chorus:] Oh it's your light, Oh it's your way, Pull me out of the dark Just to show me the way Cryin' out now From so far away... You pull me closer to love Closer to love Meet me once again Down off Lake Michigan Where we could feel the storm blowin' down with the wind And don't apologize For all the tears you've cried You've been way too strong now for all your life I'm gonna get there soon, You're gonna be there too Cryin' in your room, Prayin' Lord come through We're gonna get there soon [Chorus:] Oh, it's your light Oh, it's your way Pull me out of the dark Just to show me the way Cryin' out now From so far away... Pull me closer to love Closer to love 'Cause you are all that I've waited for All of my life (We're gonna get there) You are all that I've waited for All of my life You pull me closer to love Closer to love Pull me closer to love Pull me closer to love Closer to love, oh no Closer to love Closer to love Pull me closer to love

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome! <3 love Mat Kearney!

It might sound weird, but I think some songs are like best friends: ... they have a way of encouraging & helping you become a better person... they "get" you.