Didn't you say that before???

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Thank you, Lord

I don't say that enough, and I should.
I've been absent from blogging for the past few weeks, because I've been dealing with an emotional roller coaster that I couldn't get my head around. Up until this afternoon, actually, I was feeling very lost and alone, and abandoned by God. Then, after a sobbing talk with my sister, the answer I had been looking for was finally clear.
Ernesto broke things off with me again a few weeks ago; during the week leading up to it, I was a mess, emotionally, because I thought I was pregnant and he was not speaking to me, trying to deal with his own personal issues (which is why he broke it off, so he can fix himself). A few days after, I discovered I had been pregnant, but it didn't take. I basically had had a miscarriage, though I was less than a month pregnant. That was just over a week ago. Physically, my body is ok; the pain stopped after a few days and I was able to function normally fairly quickly. However, the hormonal turmoil that began before everything, continues to rage on in me, getting a little better every day. So much so that I took it out on the only person I could think of - Ernesto. Telling him one minute I needed my time and I didn't want to talk to him, to berating him for not asking if I was ok after everything... I was a mess. For days, I prayed for a reason, prayed for strength, prayed for direction, for EVERYTHING to get myself back to a sense of normalcy, and nothing came. So at lunch today, I went to talk to my sister, because I was falling apart at my desk, and knew I couldn't stay at work like that.
After telling her everything I was feeling - abandoned in my faith, guilty for 'losing' a pregnancy, guilty for forcing myself on Ernesto like a psychotic freak, and yet all of the over-emotional feelings I was dealing with, I couldn't get under control. And out of all of it, the root of everything; I just wanted my friend back. The man I came to know as a friend, I wanted that back. Why? Because I felt myself slipping away again, and I felt that the only way I could get myself back was if he was there. Because he showed me I could find myself again in the first place, so that's what I felt I needed. A few simple words from my sister cleared my mind; that maybe he wasn't capable of filling those shoes for me anymore, that he couldn't be the friend I wanted in him. And I realized how true that was; that I was grasping desperately for a friendship that he could not provide in the way I need or want, and in that desperation, I was continually hurting myself because I couldn't have it.
Upon returning to work, I sent him my final goodbye. And for the first time in months, I felt like a 20 ton weight had been lifted from my heart; it doesn't ache anymore. All this time, where I felt abandoned by my faith, God was trying to get it through my head that it wasn't going to work how I wanted. That's life. As the great Rolling Stones coined "you can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you might find, you get what you need". I got what I needed - the sorrow and weight lifted from my heart.
I still love him, and I know I always will, but I need to take care of myself, and I can't do that hanging on to him.
So now, I'm going to move forward with myself; get back to spending time with my friends and family, and pouring my focus into school, work, and home. It may not be what I want, but it's what I need, and it feels right.
I realized today, I was never abandoned by my faith; God never left me, I had left Him. I spent my time begging Him to help me, fix me, change me, but never once did I thank Him for what He had already given me; a loving family, a beautiful, healthy nephew (even if he's super-tiny), true friends, my job... the list goes on. Yet I had forgotten the importance of thanking Him.
Thank you, Lord, for blessing my life with wonderful people, and for staying in my heart and by my side, even when I was most lost. Thank you for bringing me back, and showing me the way back to my path in life. Thank you for loving me unconditionally. Thank you for everything.
♥

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

aww, your making me cry...

I'm sorry for what happened to you Darby.

Isn't it crazy how things can go from good to bad in a split second?

The important thing to know is that they can also go from bad to good just as quickly :)

Heather

Stefanie said...

i'm so sorry for what you have gone through. you are strong and a perfect child of god. remember always that what god brings us to, he will get us through. life is hard and it is not only to be endured, but cherished and looked upon as the greatest lesson of all. you're doing great - keep looking within and you will find the most precious treasure - you.

Anonymous said...

oh Darby, i'm sorry to hear the news too. You are so loved...

I strongly believe that everyone we meet comes into our life for a reason.... if pain and heartache caused by those relationships bring me to Jesus, then so be it. Nothing compares to that love.

(hugs)