Didn't you say that before???

Monday, February 1, 2010

Oh boy...

Darby needs caffeine but has no cash on her to buy any. Boo. :(
Well, at least being tired will help me reach my numbers for the day, since I'll be nodding off every other invoice entry... ;)
So tell me if this makes sense, because I can't figure it out to save my life...
For our daily numbers here at work (our "APH" as it is called, if you recall from a previous entry of mine), we have a set number of minutes per item it should take us to process. For example: Canadian invoices should take 3 minutes per invoice from start to finish to prep, enter, and file. OK, not too bad, but it's a little high. Calculated out, I need to enter 20 invoices in an hour to have my time spent equal my time 'earned' (i.e. the calculated estimate of time it should take to enter that number). Now we also have to make sure we are not above 100% efficiency. SO, to do that, our time spent has to be LOWER than our time 'earned'. To put it into a numerical example:
If, every hour, I enter the number of invoices to have my spent and earned time equal (20 invoices for a full hour, 15 invoices for the two 45 minute hours during break time), I hit exactly at 100% efficiency; this is not wanted by management. In order to bring that percentage down, I must enter fewer invoices during a few of those hours. So let's make that adjustment... now my efficiency is at 93%, which is more acceptable, but my daily spent to earned is now less spent and more earned - which is NOT acceptable. So it's a lose-lose situation. See my frustrations? Throw in random minutes through out the day spent on answering emails or anything else, and that efficiency increases... so there's no way of meeting both sets of numbers every day. And what this will boil down to is the lowering even MORE of our reasonable expectations (the minutes that make up our APH), and MORE people will be let go...
no idea... just need to keep using my brain elsewhere for a while longer.
***So I started writing this after lunch, and then had to actually WORK for the last few hours of the day to get my alloted number of invoices in for the day, so I'm going to post this now***

No comments: