Didn't you say that before???

Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Phoenix

I have been here,
Down this road so many times,
Stopping.
Turning.
Waiting.
Through the fog I cannot see your face,
Though I know you are there.
Somewhere.
I wore my heart on my sleeve for you,
Gave you all I had,
Everything.
It was never enough though,
So I continue down the road,
Alone.
Singular.
Solitary.
I am accustomed to the dark,
Wandering aimlessly,
Blind.
My heart is no longer on my sleeve,
I keep it hidden,
Away.
I am opaque to the eyes on me,
No longer transparent.
Solid.
Once an open book,
I am now like a child's diary,
Closed.
Secret.
Locked.
Along the road came another,
To walk beside me for a time,
Together.
I question how long he will stay,
With my heart locked off,
Imprisoned.
It fights weakly to be released,
To go back to the perch on my sleeve,
Open.
Free.
Unprotected.
I cannot allow its freedom,
For the fear of pain is too great,
Rejection.
This is not who I am,
This is not who I am meant to be,
Stranger.
This is my transformation,
Me rising from the ashes,
Strong.
I am the phoenix,
And I will rise again.
Anew.
Restored.
Glorious.