Didn't you say that before???

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Oh the Places You Will Go

Yes, that title is a reference to the Dr. Suess book - I actually have it in my nightstand, given to me by the best friend ever - Angela. If you have kids (or just randomly collect Dr. Suess, or frequent book stores and read without purchasing, or go to a library anytime) - read the book. It is by FAR a story that touches me deeply, as it is fitting for my move 4 states away from all I've ever known. Just had to throw that out there. ;)

However, boys and girls (well really, only girls - I don't think any boys are following me on here, unless they're secret stalkers - that's kinda hot), this blog is not about the book - as awesome as it is. It's about my first REAL adventure out and about in Massachusetts. What I love - absolutely LOVE - about the Boston area - there are so many beaches within a very short drive, you feel like you're on a mini vacation in one day. That's amazing! Growing up in PA, going to see the beach took at least an entire weekend, because it was at least a 2 - 4 hour drive, depending on traffic, what area of in New Jersey/Delaware/Maryland you chose to drive to, etc. etc... so I've never had the experience of just getting in the car and being at the beach in  about an hour's time.
First stop on the "tour" (as I kept calling Christina and Liz my tour guides for the day) was Forty Steps in Nahant. Basically, the incoming waves and carved natural steps out of the rock over the years, and the steps lead down to a nice rocky beach area. Unfortunately, the steps eventually crumbled, and they put in man-made stairs to lead down to the beach - over 60 of them, according to Christina - so they really shouldn't call it 'Forty Steps' anymore... but I digress.... This area was gorgeous. The tide was at it's lowest, so all the areas that normally are under water, were fully exposed, allowing us to do some mild "rock climbing" (well, really it was more like "rock stepping" as we were all in flip flops and were too much of wusses to really do much more than easy steps onto small rocks). I almost didn't want to leave - I just wanted to find a nice comfy rock, plop my ass on it, and wait for the tide to come back in, to see how much it filled up and changed. I may have to do that some other time.
Leaving Nahant was a challenge, as Christina lost her phone (which she uses for work) by leaving it on the roof of the car as we drove off. So a half hour delay ensued as we wandered up and down the main drag, trying to find it - or it's pieces. Funny thing about Blackberries...they can go careening off the roof of a car, hit the pavement sending the back of it flying in one direction, the battery in another, and the phone in yet another, and still manage to work afterwards. Glory be, and thanks to Saint Anthony for helping us find it! LOL
From there, we were off to Revere Beach for some awesome pizza, ice cream, sand castles, and people watching (and seagull watching too - those fuckers are huge here!) - and not in that order. I still firmly believe  that Upper Crust has the best pizza I have ever had, but the place we hit up today (the name escapes me - I was too busy stuffing my face to notice) was a damn close second. A few weeks ago they held the annual sand sculture contest there, and the submissions were still standing, so we checked them out - absolutely amazing to see the skilled work people can create in 3 short days. Some awesome ice cream was consumed, then we legged it back to the car, where we headed back to Christina's place. Somewhere along the trekking today though, I re-injured my knee - so now I'm hurting, but it was totally worth it.
Christina and Liz showed me around and showed me a great time - they really are two down-to-Earth, amazing women that I am pleased to call my friends. :)
So from there, we headed back for me to get my car and drive home...I'm exhausted, a little sunburned, and so content with the day. ♥

3 comments:

Heather said...

awww, that sounds like an awesome day! especially the pizza and ice cream :-) haha!

The Darbzilla said...

oH!! I didn't even write anything about the ice cream - THAT was by far some of the BEST ice cream I've had in a long time - totally homemade. The place we went to had a bazillion flavors of hard ice cream and 24 (yes, that is NOT a typo!!) flavors of soft serve! I've never had soft serve that wasn't vanilla, chocolate, or creamsicle flavored - that's it... but I crumbled and got peanut butter cup hard ice cream in a chocolate-dipped waffle cone... it was heavenly... :)

the lonely ghoul said...

Sounds like an amazing day!!