Didn't you say that before???
Friday, May 2, 2008
I am accountable
Only I am accountable for every bite of food I put in my mouth. I cannot 'blame' others if I willingly eat something offered to me.
I need work on my willpower. Starting today, a new goal of mine: when presented with the opportunity to eat something, I am going to step back and ask myself a few questions.
1) Am I actually hungry?
if a) YES, then move on to 2
if b) NO, then graciously decline the offer
2) Is what is being offered a healthy food choice?
if a) YES, then move on to 3
if b) NO, then graciously decline the offer, OR find a healthy substitute
3) Do I have the availability of points to use?
if a) YES, then take a NORMAL portion and log it in my food journal
if b) NO, then graciously decline
Seems like such an easy, 'common sense' sort of thing, right? Well, for someone who loves food as much I do, its not so easy. The old adage "everything in moderation" doesn't really hold true to me. It's more like "everything in mass quantities until I can't fit anymore in". This needs to change, and will change.
Last night was a test of my willpower. I went to dinner with some old friends to a steak house. I avoided the temptation of getting an appetizer (which are big enough to feed 5 people) and I stuck with my dinner salad, as I had planned. I decided also on grilled chicken over the steak, which is a better choice. Even though I consumed more points than I wanted to (ate more fries from my plate then I had really liked to), I'm still very proud of choosing healthy foods.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This is something I struggle with too Darb - something in our upbringing to be sure! But I have tried to practice moderation as well and have gotten more comfortable just saying "No, thank you" without feeling like I was putting the other person out. Somehow I used to feel like I was being impolite if I turned something down that was offered to me, but I have come to realize that most people don't even give it a second thought!
Good for you! :-)
Post a Comment