Didn't you say that before???

Friday, April 29, 2011

Don't get lost

about 10 years ago or so, I was an extremely 'busy bee'. I was in college full-time at Montgomery County Community College, I was working part-time at Renninger's grocery store (a few nights a week bagging or in the deli, Sundays in the bakery and deli), working part-time at my mom's art gallery (Saturdays and Sundays usually), and was working a "part-time" job at Gambone Brother's Construction Company (I emphasize the "part-time" there because it was over 30 hours most weeks and quickly became full-time). It was a crazy schedule to keep; I'd go to my office job for a few hours, leave to go to school, come back for a few hours, leave to go to the grocery store, come home & do homework and lather, rinse, repeat the next day. I did this for a few years, when one day, while sitting on the dock behind Renninger's taking break, I realized something. It was no longer winter. Not only did I 'realize' this, but the trees had gone to full leaves - not even just starting to bud. Somehow, I had missed the change of season completely, because I was so busy. It honestly hit me like a ton of bricks. I can recall, very vividly, sitting there, smoking a cigarette and relishing in the fair temperature of the day, when I looked across the loading lot to the nursery next door, and saw every tree lining the road that separates the two in full leaves. And I just stared, dumbfounded. Trying to figure out when the hell it had become Spring so quickly, almost summer at this point (I believe it was near the end of May or the beginning of June if I recall).
Shortly after that, I quit working at Renninger's, and cut my hours at my mom's shop down to one day a week. I also decided during that time that I was not going to re-enroll in classes the following semester, as my office job had become too demanding on me to be able to hold up both. I was wasting away so much of my life for what? For money I couldn't use? To pay bills for an apartment I was only in for the few hours at night that I slept? It just wasn't worth it to me.
Ever since that day of waking up, I make it a point to not let time pass me like that, and to get out and enjoy the good weather days and experience the seasons as we all should - sit in the sun, read a book under a budding/blooming tree, take a walk, pick some flowers - anything to get out there and enjoy it. I believe God didn't just make the trees and plant life to provide us with oxygen - He created it all to be enjoyed. To be savored.
Today is one of those days where I cannot - CANNOT - stay at my desk for long periods of time. I think I've taken more breaks today than I have all week (at least that's how it feels) because my body and my soul is craving the sunshine, the warm air, the smell of nature. I can't wait to get out of here for the day - I'm going to go home, grab my camera, and head to the arboretum down the street. Saturday, if the weather's just as nice, I'm going to spend the majority of the day wandering the area with my camera. It's days like today that make me remember why I wanted to move here in the first place - it is by far one of the most beautiful cities I've been to.
Now if only I could shake melancholy feeling over doing these things alone, I'd be golden.

No comments: